Assistant General Counsel
Culver City , CaliforniaREQ ID JR21-10939 Apply View Saved Jobs
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) seeks a privacy attorney to join our growing privacy team. This is a singular opportunity to help build and scale SPE’s global privacy program with a collaborative team.
Who we are:
We’re a global team with a passion for data privacy and motivated by supporting innovative and dynamic business partners. We value a positive attitude, sense of humor, and a commitment to professionalism and collegiality!
Who you are:
Your primary responsibility will be leading SPE’s employee data privacy compliance program, including providing legal advice to SPE corporate executives and their teams regarding compliance with global employee privacy requirements. To do so, you will partner with global teams across the company to provide practical, business-focused legal advice and support the accomplishment of business objectives in an ethical, innovative, and compliant manner.
This position will be based in our Culver City office.
Advises and Oversees SPE’s Global Employee Data Privacy Compliance Program
- Provide and coordinate legal advice regarding various employee data privacy laws and regulations, including CPRA, requirements and trends applicable to the collection, use, transfer, and sharing of personal data.
- Provide legal advice to People & Organization, Legal, Procurement, IT, and Information Security Privacy teams on privacy matters, including in response to Data Subject Requests.
- Review, evaluate, and implement privacy requirements for corporate initiatives and vendor agreements that involve the collection and use of employee data.
- Participate in negotiations with third party vendors regarding data privacy issues in a variety of commercial agreements.
- Liaise with Sony Corporation and its operating companies regarding privacy requirements and strategies.
- Monitor employee privacy developments and identify and implement related best practices.
- Provide privacy support in all employee M&A activity, including privacy due diligence and integrations of newly acquired entities.
- Advise on data incident response issues, including breach notifications, remediation plans and communications with regulators.
Supports Legal Compliance team
- Work collaboratively with Legal Compliance Privacy colleagues and cross-functional teams to develop global privacy strategy.
- Collaborate on global privacy awareness and training activities.
- Support Legal Compliance group initiatives and projects as needed.
- Serve as employee data privacy lead on all matters to drive compliance initiatives.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- JD; Member of State Bar of any state (CA preferred) or qualified to practice in CA as registered in-house counsel
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant privacy law firm and/or in-house legal experience, including providing privacy advice for employee data activities.
- Direct experience applying U.S. and global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines in a business context.
- Act decisively while ensuring sound reasoning and judgment.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the company.
- Flexibility to manage multiple matters, and new areas of expertise as business needs change.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to identify prioritize and resolve issues quickly and effectively in a complex and creative environment.
- Be an innovative/creative problem solver who is able to find legal solutions to business issues.
- Be comfortable with a fair amount of ambiguity.
- Be down to earth with high emotional intelligence, common sense, and confidence.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) preferred.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
*As part of our commitment to health and safety, all U.S. non-union and O.P.E.I.U. Local 174 applicants and employees must submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request and obtain approval of a reasonable accommodation based on disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance. To request an accommodation for purposes of participating in the hiring process, you may contact us at SPE_Accommodation_Assistance@spe.sony.com.
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
“There is no such thing as a typical day. That's one of the aspects that makes the job so fun and engaging. Every day there are new projects, new problems to solve, new meetings, new people to work with and new things to learn.”