Dir Mobile Engineering - Funimation (Dallas or Los Angeles)
Culver City , CaliforniaREQ ID JR20-10157 Apply View Saved Jobs
This role could be in either LA (Culver City) or Dallas (Flower Mound).
Funimation, a Sony Pictures Television Networks Company, is the go-to destination for extraordinary anime. By combining its integrated in-house studios along with its technology and distribution partnerships, Funimation leads the industry with its omnichannel approach to offering anime to fans – from streaming and home entertainment to theatrical distribution and broadcast television. The company’s next generation streaming service provides subscribers with instant access to their favorite sub and dub shows in ad-free HD on the widest array of devices and platforms – from smartphones and tablets to TV’s and gaming consoles.
Funimation is looking for a Director of Mobile Engineering to join our growing Engineering and technology team. This position plays a key role in the management of all the front-end mobile, console, & TV applications helping to architect, define and design high quality digital experiences for our customers on our Apps. This is a hands on role that will help shape the future of our mobile streaming application products across iOS, Android, TV & Console apps and Android. Our ideal candidate will have experience building and leading mobile engineering teams across multiple platforms, as well as best practices of the mobile ecosystem.
As our Director of Mobile Engineering you have the technical chops to lead our engineering organization and the ability to roll up your sleeves solve the technology challenges with the best and brightest in the organization. You have a passion for engineering and a proven track record of creating extensible architectures and solid designs that withstand the test of time. You lead your teams by example, mentorship and charisma to do what it takes to get things done and make a difference. You’ll work closely with the Product organization to contribute to product strategy and participate in company level prioritization.
- Lead and execute Funimation’s streaming platform vision on mobile apps in partnership with product management.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an agile environment. Directly manage and mentor a team of engineers as well as working with outside vendors to boost our delivery capability, whether in-house, off-shore, or third-party.
- Lead the development technical product strategies designed to partner with business and product needs to grow the business and compete in a highly competitive marketplace
- Ensure development of extensible architectures and solid technical designs
- Serve as the most senior Mobile application technical resource / stakeholder in any setting, internal or external.
- Provide front end technical guidance across functions (i.e. the feasibility of a new feature to our UX team, or an estimate of how long a feature would take to implement to a PM).
- Stay current on the latest mobile app technologies and inspire your team to do the same.
- Lead the app development team ensuring all efforts are adhere to industry standard and internally defined best practices
- Define best practices for all mobile/console/TV app deployment and architecture
- Evaluate/Audit/enforce that all front-end development work (whether conducted internally or by external suppliers) adheres to adhere to industry standard and internally defined best practices
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, or five years of applicable experience, especially with Video, high-volume platform/software environments and platform development in a media/entertainment-related role
- 10+ years of industry experience including software development, product development, and a min. of 5+ years in team management
- Strong familiarity or hands-on experience with OO development across multiple consumer platforms (web, mobile, connected TV, games consoles, VR)
- Leadership experience should include building and leading a world-class team of engineers
- Proven capabilities managing and working with global and/or geographically dispersed technical teams
- Significant track record leading high-performing mobile engineers and teams
- Proven track record of delivering high-quality mobile applications at scale, on schedule
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Communicating well with executives and non-technical leaders
- Experience with enforcing best practices, tuning engineering process, TDD, code reviews, and CI
- Experience in end-to-end media workflows for linear and non-linear is highly desirable
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
"The people are terrific. Our colleagues are bright, kind, warm, thoughtful, passionate and collaborative."