Director Content Insights
Culver City , CaliforniaREQ ID JR23-10615 Apply View Saved Jobs
Sony Pictures Television (“SPT”) is looking for a strong executive to join our team as Director, Content Insights.
SPT is one of the television industry’s leading content providers, producing, distributing, and carrying programming worldwide in every genre and for every platform. In addition to managing one of the industry’s largest libraries of award-winning feature films, television shows, and formats, SPT is home to a thriving global content business, operating a robust portfolio of wholly-owned and joint-venture production companies across the U.S., Europe, Latin America, and Asia Pacific, as well as linear and digital channels around the world. SPT is a Sony Pictures Entertainment (“SPE”) Company, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Group Corporation.
SPT’s Content Insights team works in a consultative manner with Senior Executives and with Content, Strategy, and Marketing Leaders to deliver content insights that inspire creative development, content strategy, and marketing. Our role is to elevate the voice of the consumer and to provide a deep 360 understanding of their content needs.
We are looking for a Director, Content Insights to lead content insights projects in support of SPT’s Scripted, Nonfiction, Game Shows, and Kids businesses. Using primary research, content analysis, and social listening, the executive will serve as a key point person for SPT series throughout their lifecycles – including pilot testing, content positioning, marketing testing, and audience studies – playing a meaningful and visible role in making our content the best it can be.
The Director will report to SPT’s Vice President, Content Insights.
1) Series Research
The executive will be a leader on series research at SPT. The executive will conduct qualitative and quantitative primary research studies to optimize departmental development slates, to understand audiences’ views on pilots, and to improve the sellability, marketing, and performance of pitches and current series. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage design, fieldwork, and execution of qualitative and quantitative studies
- Design best-in-class projects that inform creative and marketing strategy
- Design, attend, and oversee focus groups and other qualitative research sessions
- Innovate new methodologies and best approaches to uncover insights that best reflect proposed objectives
- Act as a thought partner internally with executives and with external research vendors in managing and coordinating projects
- Coordinate with research partners across Sony Pictures Entertainment and contribute to cross-functional teams with multiple stakeholders
2) Content Analysis
The executive will lead analysis of SPT series – upcoming, current, and historical. We are looking for someone who will develop innovative approaches to content analysis. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leverage research and SPE data sources to understand content performance and audience engagement
- Evaluate adaptation potential of SPE IP by researching audience segments, themes, and success factors
- Utilize social media listening, in collaboration with SPTVD Data Solutions, to understand audiences’ needs and to test hypotheses about content
- Provide SPT leadership with audience insights to ensure series renewal
It is imperative that data-driven insights are translated into crisp, actionable takeaways for creative colleagues, studio leadership, and talent. The executive will communicate data insights to creative teams and talent; contribute to senior-level discussions about development slates, specific IP, talent, and buyers; and provide feedback when data appears to disagree with instinct. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Analyze, summarize, and deliver insights (written and verbal) that impact key content decisions, including storylines, characters, talent, positioning, and future development
- Bring data to life and build logical arguments with compelling narratives
- Develop strategic insights about our audiences and communicate those across the organization to help teams navigate the evolving content landscape
- Clearly articulate complex content to diverse sets of stakeholders and be persuasive in a variety of settings
4) Team Leadership
- Lead and mentor junior team members and ensure high quality of work across the team
Research and Analytics
- 7-10 years of experience leading primary research projects - both qualitative and quantitative at a media/entertainment company, advertising agency, research supplier or brand consultancy
- Experience commissioning, designing, and managing multi-market qualitative and quantitative research projects across demos and entertainment genres
- Qualitative experience, including managing and/or moderating focus groups
- A strong instinct to discover the “why” beyond the “what” data reveals
- Expert understanding of TV landscape, including linear networks, digital platforms, and emerging media platforms
- Deep understanding of TV production business, including the major milestones from creative strategy to series delivery
- Expertise in digital (AVOD, VOD, SVOD etc.) viewership measurement
- Passion for film and television!
- Informed; avid consumer of content, digital media, and cultural trends
- Strong interpersonal, consensus-building skills, with ability to communicate and achieve results across multiple audiences
- Able to coordinate with research partners across the organization and to contribute to cross-functional teams with multiple stakeholders
- Strong visual and verbal presentation skills and experience leading and delivering insight at an executive level
- Comfortable giving creative feedback to executives
- Confident and self-motivated; able to own projects and execute them at a high level
- Self-starter with passion, energy, and enthusiasm to impact the future of content
- Flexible and will embrace new assignments with a can-do attitude as priorities change
- Respectful, friendly, and approachable with a positive outlook and attitude
- Exceptional organization and project management skills, ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Collaborative and transparent with experience working in a matrixed, multicultural, and international organization
- A lifetime learner constantly pursuing emerging and cross-disciplinary approaches that can enhance the insights delivered to internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree required, degree preferably in the fields of Marketing, Communications, Economics, Psychology, Social Sciences or related fields a plus
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
“There is no such thing as a typical day. That's one of the aspects that makes the job so fun and engaging. Every day there are new projects, new problems to solve, new meetings, new people to work with and new things to learn.”