Director, Content Programming - Funimation
Culver City , CaliforniaREQ ID JR20-10564 Apply View Saved Jobs
Funimation creates extraordinary anime experiences for tens of millions of people around
the world every day. For over 25 years, Funimation has been the market leader, serving a passionate fan community whenever, and wherever they want it. We deliver the best that anime has to offer across television, feature films, events, retail, merchandise and, of course, the Funimation subscription apps, which are available on 15 platforms in 47 countries. Our culture is high-energy and our approach is deeply customer-obsessed, with top talent from across the full spectrum of media, tech, gaming and entertainment. With over 400 employees in 6 countries, Funimation is rapidly expanding and looking for passionate, innovative leaders to join our team.
Funimation is an independently-operated joint venture between Sony Pictures Entertainment US, and Aniplex JP, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment Japan, Inc. To learn more about Funimation, visit funimation.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Funimation is looking for a Director, Content Programming to join our team. This Director, Content Programming will create and lead the global content programming strategy for Funimation SVOD and AVOD services. The ideal candidate will leverage data, operational know-how and strategic editorial planning to position the right content in front of each customer each time they log in. The ideal candidate for this role will bring a well-informed perspective on how audience behaviors are evolving, an understanding of what drives video viewership, a strong aptitude for deriving and presenting data-driven insights and a wealth of experience curating editorial across content types, genres and audience segments. This leader should demonstrate strength in working cross-functionally and building consensus, with strong communication skills. The ideal candidate will additionally have an entrepreneurial spirit and will be highly analytical. He/she will bring tenure and a track record of making data-driven decisions, identifying and adding process improvements and advocating on behalf of customers.
- Lead, shape and implement the content programming vision for Funimation’s SVOD, AVOD and Live/Linear services
- Identify general audience programming gaps and audience segment opportunities
- Drive Funimation global content programming, promotion, retention, and engagement
- Collaborate with Marketing to ensure a consistent and engaging editorial tone inline with the Funimation brand through all apps on the service, including key art and thumbnail selection, curated list themes and titles, and tune-in messaging/calls to action
- Create high-impact, curated programming events that leverage Funimation franchises
- Develop and maintain a content calendar in partnership with marketing to define tentpole events that are support vs. initiatives that live on the service itself
- Partner with franchise/IP marketing team to support priority content campaigns
- Partner with content acquisition team on testing needs, and testing implementation as needed
- Partner with content operations team to ensure content and asset availability supports merchandising strategies
- Partner with Product team in developing the infrastructure for AI/ML based recommendations; Balance surfacing content via editorial and recommendation algorithms
- Coordinate monthly programming and promotional priorities with SVOD, AVOD and HEAT marketing teams and plan cross promotional activity to create promotable stunts and vertical themes
- Oversee promo scheduling and rotation across apps
- Leverage market and behavior data, audience research to drive data and analytics that determine effective programming strategies
- Design a set of content operational performance KPI's that define a best in class service and ensure these targets are maintained
- Responsible for setting content performance targets and implementing measurement systems to see what is performing and then changing approach to get best results.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in digital media and content programming
- Experience in content marketing is a plus
- Strong understanding of digital media platforms, including hands-on management of web, app, streaming, and connected devices
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strategic, creative, and entrepreneurial mindset
- Superior organizational, prioritization, and time management skills; ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects, with a keen attention to detail
- Advanced data literacy
- Must have a proven track record in building digital audiences
- Global mind-set: thinking and acting for both local and global needs
- Proven excellent leadership skills, with the ability to influence also in positions of no direct authority and across international teams
- Ability to work with others: You have excellent interpersonal skills. You’re a good listener. You place the success of the company ahead of any particular idea. Proven ability to work across a matrixed organization
- Highly articulate and an excellent communicator, with strong influencing skills and the ability to communicate well with peers and senior executives, locally and in different regions
- Work ethic: You do what it takes to make a project go well. You are equally comfortable taking personal ownership for a task as delegating it.
- Excellent people management skills and experience of managing teams, preferably through a period of change.
- Creativity: You love to solve problems large and small.
- Must have legal right to work in the U.S.
Funimation offers competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, life, short & long-term disability, 401(k) with a generous company match, ongoing employee development.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
"The people are terrific. Our colleagues are bright, kind, warm, thoughtful, passionate and collaborative."