Global Publicity Trainee - Summer/ Fall 2023
Culver City , CaliforniaREQ ID JR23-10330 Apply View Saved Jobs
The Sony Pictures Entertainment Trainee program offers a unique opportunity to work alongside the teams that come together to create movies, TV shows, and other great experiences. These paid assignments provide meaningful and productive work that allows you to build your resume, experience and develop your skills further. You will be provided with challenging tasks, real-world experience, valuable networking opportunities, and many educational and social opportunities. This type of opportunity will jump start your career and prepare you for a career in the desired field. This Summer/Fall Trainee position is from May/June through December 15th and all candidates must be able to work 40 hours a week, Monday through Friday in the specified location. This is not a remote role. A hybrid work option may or may not be available.
The trainee program will consist of numerous research projects to be assigned by the EVP of Global Publicity and/or her Assistant in Global Publicity. These will include and not be limited to looking up information regarding filmmakers, talent, reps, competitive releases, screenings, film festivals, venues, etc. The trainee will also support with keeping department documents up to date such as film calendars, strategy, memos, press dates, key dates, etc. The Summer 2023 trainee will help the department with the preparation for upcoming events like domestic and international activations, participate in weekly publicity staff meetings, work press junkets and premieres. The trainee will also be asked to conduct script coverage and contribute creative ideas for global campaigns.
The Global Publicity team works with filmmakers and talent reps to create the overall publicity campaign for a film. The Global Publicity team consists of four teams who are assigned specific film titles. Each team is made up of: SVPs, VPs, Executive Directors, Senior, Junior and Apprentice Publicists, Coordinators and Assistants. The team also includes team members working across all titles in New York, London, Canada, Photo, Events, and Social.
- Researching and updating talent/filmmaker information in pertinent documents
- Updating film calendars on a weekly basis
- Participate in department and team meeting brainstorms for press strategy discussions, event and activation ideas, and content rollout plans; offering thoughtful ideas and input
- Reading scripts and writing script coverage on an as needed basis
- Organizing and updating the Shared Drive with current documents
- Helping at off-site events/activations nearby (press junkets, special screenings, premieres, etc.) as needed
- Planning for and helping at Promo Screenings, Junkets, & Premieres
- Covering the EVP of Publicity’s calendar/phone when her assistant is out of office which includes - assisting with daily administrative duties, but not limited to, answering phones, drafting memos, scheduling meetings/managing executives’ calendars, creating meeting agendas and taking notes, securing drive-ons, reserving conference rooms, etc.
- Assist with arranging travel, accommodations, and ground transportation on an as needed basis for talent/below-the-line talent/filmmakers
- Strategizing all media campaigns with fellow team members
- Interacting with all global marketing departments including Events Marketing, Brand Management, Digital, Intersectional, Exhibitor/National Partnerships, Consumer Products/Experience, Operations, Sony Music, etc.
- Monitoring domestic and international press (online, print, and broadcast)
- Competitive research and other research projects on an as-needed basis
The trainee will gain experience/exposure to the following:
- Film marketing from a studio perspective
- Working at Junkets and Premieres
- Working on an executive’s desk
- Opportunities to interact one-on-one with executives
- Time management and organization skills
- Collaborating with many different teams in the department
- Experiencing the full life cycle of a film campaign from theatrical to home entertainment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Bachelor's Degree
- Avid interest in Publicity, Marketing, and/or Communications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook)
- Knowledge of Social Media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Proficient in Internet research and experience in a professional office environment
- Common sense, dependability and discretion are required
- Solid understanding of the Sony brand and internal synergy needs
- Strong inter-departmental working relationships
- Interest to pursue a career in Publicity
- Entertainment experience preferred
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
*As part of our commitment to health and safety, all U.S. non-union and O.P.E.I.U. Local 174 applicants and employees must submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request and obtain approval of a reasonable accommodation based on disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance. To request an accommodation for purposes of participating in the hiring process, you may contact us at SPE_Accommodation_Assistance@spe.sony.com.
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
“There is no such thing as a typical day. That's one of the aspects that makes the job so fun and engaging. Every day there are new projects, new problems to solve, new meetings, new people to work with and new things to learn.”