Culver City , CaliforniaREQ ID JR20-10096 Apply View Saved Jobs
The Principal Engineer, Database is part of the Database Services Group within Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) at Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE). The Principal Engineer functions as a Senior Level Engineer working in a large and complex multiple RDMS environment. He/She is a contributor to the overall day-to-day database operations and will be part of a team that shares responsibility for technical support activities. Operating as a member of this team, the Principal Engineer should be capable of independent thinking but still have a willingness to follow predefined EIS policies in order to satisfy our customers. The scope of data management operations includes the activities such as database administration, enterprise application integration, and data warehousing support on-prem & Cloud. More specific tasks which the candidate will be responsible for are scripting, design & analysis, installation, configuration, monitoring, support, troubleshooting and tuning of both Cloud and on-prem databases. The primary database platform at SPE is Oracle & SQL Server running on Linux and Windows platforms respectively. Other environment includes EDB, MySQL, MongoDB and MarkLogic running on Linux and Windows servers.
1. Database Operational Support - Proactively monitor and resolve incidents/problems that may impact the data management operations. Some key activities include:
- Respond, prioritize, and escalate incidents or service requests as necessary according to EIS processes and procedures.
- Coordinate significant change management initiatives both internally and with external IT teams.
- Participate in problem management task forces and perform root-cause troubleshooting.
- Maintain enough documentation with key system configurations and operational procedures to meet all support needs and situations.
- Develop and implement database operational procedures
- Develop processes to monitor databases and event logs
- Develop automation deployment pipeline
- Perform maintenance of database system software
- Perform migration of all database modifications to the QA and production environments
- Implement monitoring solutions as defined by Senior Staff Members
- Implement backup solutions as defined by Senior Staff Members
- Assist with the loading of production data and any other issues regarding data loads.
- Assist with system configurations, database upgrades and migrations.
- Verify nightly backups and transaction log dumps
- Monitor databases and event logs
- Manage database accounts and logins
- Assist in developing and implement database operational procedures.
2. Database Engineering & Design – Assess, plan, and build capability to provide data management related services to all levels of the IT organization. Some key activities includes:
- Ensure adequate capacity is available at all times to meet the requirements of the operations and business through capacity planning and management.
- Design, implement, measure and manage database services to ensure the stated business requirements for availability are consistently met.
- Continue to provide a pre-determined and agreed level of database services to support the minimum business requirements following an interruption to the database operations.
- Assist with installations and configurations of new database environments
- Assist with capacity and resource planning
- Assist with database performance analysis and server tuning activities
- Assist with the development and implementation of standards, policies and procedures.
- Support application development functions.
- Maintain service level agreements, policies and procedures
- Assist with application support functions, including coordinating vendor assisted support
3. Security Management – Ensure the confidentiality, Integrity and availability of data. Some key activities includes:
- Ensure data integrity through sound backup and recovery procedures.
- Define and implement access controls to the data to meet audit and security requirements.
- Work with information security and internal/external auditors to coordinate audit and compliance activities.
- Create and maintain security and application roles for all databases.
- Restore data, upon request, to the Development, QA or Production environments
BS or BA degree in computer science, information technology, business administration or related technology field.
Extensive hands-on experience and knowledge (minimum 7 years) in Oracle and at least two other relational database management system such as Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, Teradata or DB2. Oracle development and support experience is required with strong proficiency in the following areas:
- Oracle installation, configuration, performance tuning, client/server connectivity, query optimization
- Database backup, restore and disaster recovery procedures.
- Data modeling and reverse engineering using tool such as ERwin
- Writing complex stored procedures and triggers.
- Clustering and load balancing with database servers.
- Database concurrency solutions.
- Fair knowledge of database services on Cloud (AWS & Azure) and hands-on experience of data migration from on-prem environment to Cloud.
- Large data replication and synchronization solutions such as snapshot, merge and transactional.
- Enterprise application integration technologies with webMethods development and support experience highly preferred.
- Fair to good knowledge of IT services delivery and support methodology such as ITIL.
Professional level knowledge of:
- General IT security best practices.
- Web and application server technologies.
- Distributed web application frameworks such as J2EE and/or .NET.
- Server/storage platforms and hardware.
- Data communications and network standards.
Demonstrated results and proven track record in:
- Participating in large-scale application support efforts.
- Fostering strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem solving and decision making skills.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in software development practices are highly desirable.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
"The people are terrific. Our colleagues are bright, kind, warm, thoughtful, passionate and collaborative."