Vice President, Communications - Funimation
Culver City , CaliforniaREQ ID JR20-10423 Apply View Saved Jobs
Funimation creates extraordinary anime experiences for tens of millions of people around
the world every day. For over 25 years, Funimation has been the market leader,
serving a passionate fan community whenever, and wherever they want it. We
deliver the best that anime has to offer across television, feature films,
events, retail, merchandise and, of course, the Funimation subscription app,
which is available on 15 platforms in 47 countries. Our culture is
high-energy and our approach is deeply customer-obsessed, with top talent from
across the full spectrum of media, tech, gaming and entertainment. With over 400 employees in 6 countries, Funimation is rapidly expanding.
Funimation is an independently-operated joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan’s Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. To learn more about Funimation, visit funimation.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
The VP of Communications is responsible for driving holistic public relations & communications strategies in support of marketing, consumer and internal objectives. This is a high-visibility role that will drive significant business results working closely with Funimation’s senior executive team. The VP of Communications reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Overview of the role
- Develop performance-based PR strategies that spotlight Funimation’s omni-channel business across consumer, business and internal touchpoints
- Capture significant earned reach by mastering Funimation’s storytelling through major media outlets
- Nurture lasting and productive relationships with media; serve as primary point of contact for press inquiries
- Leverage data and metrics to measure success; continually refine approach based on learnings
- Manage all crisis communications efforts
- Work closely and coordinate with relevant Sony counterparts and global management teams
- Deliver results across four key areas: consumer, b2b, corporate and internal communication as follows with a primary focus on consumer:
- Drive strategies to create and sustain a loyal fan base across multiple mediums
- Support all major consumer moments including theatrical releases, red carpet events, press junkets, major title announcements, conventions programming and e-commerce product drops
- Raise Funimation’s profile in the general entertainment ecosystem earning premiere placements and recurring inclusion in round-ups, industry stories etc.
- Work closely with social media team to maximize investments made in social programs and influencer relationships
- Develop communication strategies for theatrical and merchandising businesses to enhance reputation with partners and exhibitors
- Support key B2B events such as licensing expos and trade events
- Create strategies for articulating Funimation’s growth objectives and increasing share of voice in youth culture
- Support all major company announcements including new products and territory launches
- Build the executive communications platform and supporting content for GM and select members of the Senior Leadership team
- Expertly prepare executives for media events, speeches, presentations, and interviews
- Maintain all press fact sheets and public facing documentation
- Oversee strategy and cadence/type of touchpoints to effectively disseminate relevant information to global employee base
- Develop content for all employee newsletters, stand-ups and all-hands presentations coordinating with key leaders and human resources
- 15 years of PR experience (ideally combination in-house and PR firm) with significant time spent in media, gaming, tech and/or hyper-growth direct to consumer businesses
- Experience with entertainment streaming services, subscription models and theatrical marketing
- Strong roster of relationships with the business and trade press who cover media, TV and general entertainment; strong relationships with geek press
- Ability to foster strong relationships with key executives
- Significant experience in crisis and issues management
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business objectives
- Exceptional communications skills and stellar writer
- Good judgment and able to keep highly sensitive information confidential
- Ability to thrive as an individual contributor
- College degree, Masters/MBA a plus
Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
"The people are terrific. Our colleagues are bright, kind, warm, thoughtful, passionate and collaborative."