Worldwide Acquisitions Film Development Intern, MPG - Spring 2020
Culver City, CaliforniaREQ ID JR19-11533 Apply View Saved Jobs
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment Inc., a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com
The Sony Pictures Entertainment Internship program offers a unique opportunity to work alongside the teams that come together to create movies, TV shows, and other great experiences. These seasonal, paid assignments provide meaningful and productive work that allow you to build your resume, experience and develop your skills further. You will be provided with challenging tasks, real-world experience, valuable networking opportunities, and many educational and social opportunities while on the lot. This Spring Internship is from January through end of May and all candidates must be able to work between 15-29 hours a week (flexible based on school schedule).
Our department produces original films and acquires films during festivals (Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, Tribeca, SXSW, Berlin, etc.) as well as outside of festivals for distribution under Sony’s various platforms. We acquire in various stages (Scripts, finished films, promos, etc.). Our group also does development and oversees projects creatively that we acquire during festivals and between festivals. This requires a combination of analytical analysis of the financial potential of films, marketing and publicity for the films we acquire, and traditional development, notes, and casting/directing lists for all the films we are in the midst of development on. In addition to this, the intern will also learn about traditional production practices and what it takes for the executive level to oversee traditional productions on a mid-size budget level being shot both within the US and abroad.
- Assist with project-by-project analysis of films, as well as analysis of all submissions to major film festivals around the world. By helping our executives with organization of various major film festival entries, the interns will gain a firm understanding of what it takes for an independent film to become successful. The interns will also gain an understanding of how our group purchases films for various territories around the globe.
- Review acquisitions materials (scripts, finished films, promos) and provide input on their insight on what works for acquisitions and what does not work. Interns will be integral in the acquisition preparation following Cannes, and leading up to Toronto, AFM, and Sundance. This will allow the intern to not only see how our group preps to buy dozens of features annually, and also how our group prepares for original productions that we finance under our various banners.
- This internship is fully macro in its scale, and teaches interns about all levels of films, all stages of film production, completion, and acquisitions, and also provides as a great launching point for interns who have career aspirations within film and acquisition
- Relevant experience or education in Film or TV
- Strong work ethic
- Be able to react quickly under pressure
- Have a keen eye for detail,
- A proven understanding of the independent film world
- Well versed with MSOffice,& Filemaker
- Genuine desire to go the extra mile with regards to reading scripts, preparing financial data related to deals, and asking questions with regards to the work assigned to them. Interns with backgrounds in business and a law may find this internship exceptionally interesting, as their skill set will be utilized in a variety of ways that may be unique to a traditional business or legal background.
- Undergraduate student studying in relevant field able to work part time hours while in school
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
"The people are terrific. Our colleagues are bright, kind, warm, thoughtful, passionate and collaborative."