Assistant Stat & Tax Accountant - Maternity Cover
London , United KingdomREQ ID JR23-11217 Apply View Saved Jobs
Please note that this role is based in the United Kingdom. In order to enable us to meet statutory and regulatory obligations of the United Kingdom immigration system you must have the appropriate immigration permission needed to work and reside in the United Kingdom.
Here at Sony Pictures, we are in the business of creativity… making some of the most beloved film and television of all time for every platform in the world. As the most creative and proudly independent studio, our future is boundless!
Sony Pictures Entertainment is a division of Sony Corporation, a creative entertainment company built on a foundation of technology. Along with our sister companies, we make movies, television, music and games that engage billions of people, connecting creators and audiences around the globe. We are looking for innovators to join us as we forge the future of entertainment!
SPE Finance and Accounting continues to transform the organisation from a Line of Business and territory orientation to one which is global, enterprise-based, focusing on process improvement, standardisation, reducing complexity and the use of technology. The global team’s objectives are to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the overall team while enhancing the value and accessibility of the data created by the accounting processes which will enable the commercial teams to drive toward greater revenue growth and margin improvements.
The role is a fixed term maternity cover and will help to transform SPE’s Finance and Accounting organisation. The responsibilities of the position will include, but not be limited to:
Working with GFO colleagues in establishing a viable and sustainable working outsource model with our partner, Capgemini,
Point of escalation for Stat & Tax issues for the GFO organisation including in-country finance leads, specialising in VAT,
Maintaining a global perspective to ensure that we always take into consideration the broadest aspects of every challenge and opportunity we encounter,
Maintaining control and visibility over VAT compliance and being a member of the team who own SPE’s financial systems and is responsible for developing a roadmap to rationalise our current landscape from a federation of customised applications into one that is more efficient and harmonised across our differing business models using innovative technology platforms which will support SPE well into the future.
The role will work closely with the Stat & Tax (“S&T”) GFO Senior Accountant, VAT Assistant Manager and the S&T GFO VAT Director in delivering quality and following performance standards of General Accounting and Control to support Global Finance teams and the Stat & Tax GFO internationally with relevant and timely information.
- Work with the S&T GFO Senior Accountant and Assistant Manager in seeking opportunities and implementing standardisation and improvements in compliance and processes
- Assist and support in the ongoing transition of SPE’s Indirect Tax accounting from its current model with Deloitte, to a technology led in-house model using Capgemini
- Help to create an environment which embraces change and thrives in dynamic situations which can often have both unclear and uncertain outcomes
- Assist with issues between Global Finance teams and third parties
Responsibility for Global VAT
- Assist the S&T GFO Senior Accountant and Assistant Manager with overseeing the co-ordination of Global Indirect Tax operations ensuring timely and accurate reporting including running and checking relevant reports, preparation of returns, coordinating approvals and submissions and preparing reconciliations primarily in but not restricted to EMEA
- Help identify, implement, manage and improve processes
- Work and support Finance system teams on enhancements, changes and implementation
- Review trends in Indirect Tax positions flagging anomalies
- Liaise with Global Finance teams and third party providers such as Capgemini
- Stay up to date on VAT updates
Stat & Tax GFO responsibilities
- Help to develop and implement the team’s vision and values, aligned to SPE’s CEO and CFO’s objectives and goals
- Work with S&T GFO by supporting the oversight, accounting and control of SPE
- Flag unusual VAT activity with the S&T GFO Senior Accountant and Assistant Manager proposing solutions where possible
- Assist the S&T GFO Senior Accountant and Assistant Manager with identifying and raising S&T issues for S&T GFO
- Assist in maintaining the VAT team and VAT position logs, along with any other required working documents
- Work with the S&T GFO Senior Accountant and Assistant Manager on audit queries (where required)
Projects and Continuous Improvement
- Support the S&T team on business projects, the identification and implementation of process improvements and new technologies, VAT savings/opportunities, exposures and risks
- Assist the S&T GFO Senior Accountant and Assistant Manager on continuous improvement within the business
- Ensure compliance documentation, process notes and manuals are maintained and kept up to date
- Certification/Licenses: Part qualified Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) or Association of Tax Technicians (ATT) would be helpful but not essential.
- Some experience of working in a professional corporate working environment
- Some experience of maintaining, documenting and overseeing a control environment
- Some experience of delivering Finance and Accounting projects/programs (advantage - SAP S4 Hana)
- Operate in an international multifaceted, uncertain environment
- Keeping to timelines
- Be flexible with duties, scope and hours of work and business travel requirements
- Be a change agent
- To work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Be a standout colleague and contribute positively to the team including moments that may be outside of their outlined remit
- Be a self-starter and work using own initiative
- Effectively communicate in business English (oral and written skills) across finance and operational organisation at all levels
- Ability to understand and interpret financial information
How we take care of you:
- Competitive salary, with annual bonus eligibility.
- A choice of comprehensive health plan options that fit your lifestyle including private medical insurance.
- Rest and recharge during a week off during the winter holidays, in addition to the 25 days of paid annual leave.
- Participate in extensive learning & development opportunities at all levels, including curated instructor-led classes and high impact online resources.
- Build your community by joining our Employee Business Resource Groups, and/or Sony Pictures Action – our racial equity and inclusion strategy.
- Access to an employee online store filled with a variety of discounted Sony products.
- Watch the newest movies and TV shows at our exclusive employee screenings at work.
- Entitlement to apply for an interest-free season ticket loan.
- Automatic enrolment in the Company’s Pension Plan
- Free counselling and advisory service.
- You will be automatically enrolled in the Company’s Life Insurance and Group Income Protection Plans subject to any applicable service requirements.
- The opportunity to attend various social events in our state-of-the-art offices in Paddington.
- In addition to the above we have a range of other optional discounted benefits that are reviewed regularly (e.g., gym memberships, travel insurance, activity passes, car leasing, experience days and many more!)
If you require any reasonable adjustments with any part of the recruitment process, including the application or interview process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Reasonable Adjustment Request in the subject line of the email.
Sony Pictures Entertainment is committed to equal opportunity in all its employment practices, policies and procedures. No worker or potential worker will therefore receive less favourable treatment due to their race, age, creed, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, disability, religion, gender, marital status or Trade Union membership (if applicable).undefined
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
“There is no such thing as a typical day. That's one of the aspects that makes the job so fun and engaging. Every day there are new projects, new problems to solve, new meetings, new people to work with and new things to learn.”