Director, Business Affairs - International Productions
London , United KingdomREQ ID JR22-10831 Apply View Saved Jobs
Please note that this role is based in the United Kingdom. In order to enable us to meet statutory and regulatory obligations of the United Kingdom immigration system you must have the appropriate immigration permission needed to work and reside in the United Kingdom.
This position is within Sony Picture Television’s International Productions business affairs team based in London, reporting to VP head of UK/EMEA scripted business affairs. The role is to provide legal and business affairs services for the SPTI in-house production group across development, production and distribution of scripted television programming, together with business affairs support to other production companies in the SPTI group.
- Will handle, manage & coordinate a wide variety of business affairs activities.
- Advise, negotiate and coordinate business affairs matters for SPTI in-house and SPTI group’s scripted production companies, including negotiating and drafting a wide variety of agreements including all types of development and production agreements (for example writer/format, option and other rights acquisition agreements, changed format deals,, consultancy, executive producer, individual producer, director and actor agreements, all key crew and below the line agreements, location agreements, clearance agreements, and product placement agreements.
- In collaboration with SPTI group scripted executives, responsible for negotiating and/or advising on negotiations with all major UK, European and global broadcasters.
- Support the internal SPT scripted executives in UK, Europe and the USA in structuring and negotiating various types of commissioning and funding deals not only in the UK but across the world, including unique development and co-production partnerships and third-party acquisition deals for scripted television content.
- Manage union/guild matters (e.g., UK, US guilds) and ensure templates remain accurate and up to date.
- Working closely with STPI’s global business affairs, legal, finance, and operations teams and providing status reports on a regular basis regarding any development, production, rights or other business and legal questions or concerns.
- A Good working knowledge of UK scripted television production business affairs negotiation matters, including without limitation, the various Terms of Trade with UK broadcasters and common deal structures for scripted series
- Good relationships with the business and commercial executives within UK agency community representing actors, writers and other key players in the UK market
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills are required. The candidate must have the ability to synthesize complex transactional matters and create deal memos and agreements which are clear and easy to administer relating to rights, writing, and talent and production issues of all kinds.
- Knowledge of UK contract and copyright law.
- Experience with rights tracking software and databases helpful.
- The ability to work in fast-paced environment with an ever changing landscape.
- Craft and adapt negotiations and drafting to meet changing needs of the global marketplace;
- Work toward strategic objectives as outlined by SPTI’s senior management; Prioritize work effectively to optimize results, work effectively under pressure;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and be a team player.
- University degree and qualified solicitor degree or equivalent desirable
- Fluent English speaker with additional languages a plus.
- 4+ years of related television production business affairs experience desirable
- Background in working in or with multimedia international corporations is helpful but not a pre-requisite.
Sony Pictures Entertainment is committed to equal opportunity in all its employment practices, policies and procedures. No worker or potential worker will therefore receive lessfavourabletreatment due to his or her race, age, creed, sexual orientation,colour, nationality, ethnic origin, disability, religion, gender, marital status or Trade Union membership (if applicable)undefined
Why We Love Sony PicturesAdam Herr Miami
“There is no such thing as a typical day. That's one of the aspects that makes the job so fun and engaging. Every day there are new projects, new problems to solve, new meetings, new people to work with and new things to learn.”